Sunday, March 2, 2014

Dumpster Diving & Savings Finding For Bedroom Furnishings

I gave some background about the bedroom furniture in the first post about this room.



This headboard and nightstand and mirror belonged to grandma's nephew. He was throwing it out when he moved. Grandma took them and they've been sitting in the garage. My mom had the same bedroom set and was getting rid of hers at the same time. Luckily, out of pure laziness, we hadn't thrown out one of her nightstands yet so I'll have a matching set of furniture for free. Neither of the dressers from the original sets were saved, just one of the mirrors.


I'm not crazy about this Ikea lamp but grandma just put it there temporarily.


The dresser is a family heirloom. It was my other grandmother's when she was little and then it was my mom's when she was a kid. When I was born, dad refinished it and I've had it ever since. It matches the mirror very well (not so much in the picture above though...) and luckily the mirror is just the right width to fit on top of the dresser.


Grandma had the blanket rack in this room originally so I just kept it. The photo is one of the cruise ship docks in Lake George NY. I had an 8x10 printed at CVS and the pre-matted frame was $6 at The Christmas Tree Shop.



The comforter and sheet set is from Bed Bath & Beyond. It was originally $80 but I used a 20% off coupon. The navy shams in the back are from Kmart and I got a tailored navy bed skirt from Wayfair.com but It's not on the bed yet. The 3 throw pillows were grandma's. The striped one is from Ikea but I don't know where she got the 2 white ones.


It's a full size bed but the headboard is a queen size. Instead of trying to make some contraption to attach the headboard to the bed frame, I just bolted it to the wall.



I got this shabby trunk at The Christmas Tree Shop too. It was originally $50 but on clearance I got it for $12.




I swiped this plant stand from the living room and grandma was happy to let me keep it after seeing how perfect it looks in this little corner. The Partylite candle sconce was given to me by my aunt. I'm planning to paint it but I'm not sure how yet. I might do a brushed nickel or maybe paint the top half white and leave the bottom black.


A nice shot of the finished crown molding.


I walked down the lamp aisle at Lowes 3 times on different days and I didn't see anything I liked. Then I was at a different Lowes and I saw this lamp and that was it! My lighting search was over. These are the lamp bases and shades that are sold separately to mix and match and at my regular Lowes this combo was not on display so I didn't really notice them separately. I then spent a day driving to all the different Lowes in my area trying to make 2 of these lamps because none of them had 2 lamps and 2 shades. One store did have 2 shades, but one of them was unwrapped and dirty.


The old time camera is made of resin from one of those catalogs like ABC or Collections Inc.


I knew that the nightstand I'd be bringing from mom's house had water damage to the top. I Picked up these navy placemats and creamy white cloth napkins to cover the damage and add some interest to the nightstands.


This neat little pot is also from The Christmas Tree Shop. $6.



I'm not usually a huge fan of Ikea but I love these little plastic potted plants. They look very realistic. It sat a little low in the pot but was the perfect amount of foliage and just needed a little boost in the bottom from an empty yogurt cup.


This really nice Heywood Wakefield table is another curbside treasure. Grandma's sister found it near the dumpster of her building and grabbed it. It was perfect for my TV so grandma put 2 placemats on top and I asked her for the neat tealight vase that she had downstairs.

I still need to get the curtains back. They are being hemmed by a friend of my mine and I asked her to add a stripe of navy ribbon to the bottoms. This room is pretty much finished for now.

2 comments:

  1. It looks great. Funny how even though the navy blue must read darker than the old green the room overall seems much brighter. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's got to be the white half and the white ceiling creating that illusion. The room feels much larger too.

    ReplyDelete