Wednesday, January 29, 2014

House Tour

I decided to take photos of the house as Grandma has it right now. These will be both nostalgic photos of my grandmother's house that I can look back on but also as "before" photos for the changes I plan to make. The house has always been a labor of love for her. She definitely has her own (pink) style that may not be everyone'c cup of tea, but like it or not you have to admit that it certainly is impressive.

My grandparents designed the house themselves and my grandfather did most of the construction as well. Grandma tells me that when they brought the designs to the architect, the only mistake on the plans was one extra tread on the staircase! Pretty good for a 30 year old cop and a 27 year old housewife with a part time job.

I'm going to spread the tour over several posts because there's a lot to take in. Eventually I'd like to do a sort of "Room-By-Room Timeline" for each space. Kind of like a visual history to show where things started and how they've progressed and got to the way they are now.

On with the tour! Today I'll cover the Exterior, so you know what the house looks like. Don't forget to click the photos to enlarge them.

Exterior

This first set of images is from Google Maps Street View which explains anything that may look funky or blurred out.








These are photos I took recently which show off the front a bit better because it's winter and the tree is leafless.


The bay window supports belonged to a neighbor who was getting rid of all their wrought iron porch elements.


The column on the porch was also from the  neighbor who was getting rid of their wrought iron porch railings. Grandma hand-painted the rose details. White Frame, Pink Roses, Green Leaves, Brown Branches


Grandma made the shutters on the front windows. The man and woman silhouettes are on the master bedroom window and the girl and boy are on the upstairs bedroom window.. 


The railing on the front stairs is also from the neighbor.

The back yard and patio.

Right now everything's packed up for the winter.

This is the "other side" of the stair railing from the neighbor. One side was used on the front stairs, the other on the back stairs.

This is the greenhouse. My grandfather had a vegetable garden. in the back next to the garage. There were alwyas lots of pink and red geraniums around.  



Can you tell my grandma has a thing for pink? I'll keep adding to this post as I come across more photos of the exterior.

2 comments:

  1. Your Grandma's house looks just like a dollhouse! It is really "cute" right now, but it will be interesting to see how it changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog thru houzz and enjoyed it. This is a trully unique home! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete