Thursday, January 30, 2014

House Tour - Bedroom #1

The house has 3 bedrooms, the master bedroom, the back bedroom or bedroom #1, and the upstairs bedroom or bedroom #2. The back bedroom was my father's room for the first 7 years of his life. It was originally a deep blue. Grandma had painted glow in the dark stars on the ceiling and had a sky theme with a sun lamp and cloud cornices on the windows. When he was a little older it was shifted to an outer space theme. She made a lampshade from a  costume astronaut's helmet and had a red white and blue color scheme. When my aunt was born grandpa and grandma finished half of the attic space as a second bedroom and dad moved up there. Then the room was painted a soft yellow, followed by avocado green, and a peachy pink. When my aunt moved out of the house (I think I was about 8 years old) grandma had the room painted the minty green you'll see below.






When this was my father's room there was a desk near the door which prevented it from being opened so the door was replaced with this sliding door.


The closet in this room and the master bedroom are cedar lined. and have lights that come on when you open the door.
This is also the first room that I'll be redoing. It's going to look a lot different.

The original blue that my dad had when he was little. 1958 was the last time this outlet cover was removed.

The switch plate grandma put up. I'm replacing all the outlets and switches with new white ones.

This headboard and nightstand and mirror (not pictured) belonged to grandma's nephew. He was throwing it out when he moved. Grandma took them and they've been sitting in the garage. My mom had the same bedroom set and was getting rid of hers at the same time. Luckily, out of pure laziness, we hadn't thrown out one of her nightstands yet so I'll have a matching set of furniture for free. 

The windows are all wood original side sliders. 

Found the door in the attic. So glad to have a real door.



The walls have been cleaned, the cracks have been filled and the trim has been sanded and wiped down with liquid deglosser. I'm ready to paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment