Thursday, February 20, 2014

A New Bedroom With All The Trimmings

After my Adventure in Electrical was over, I turned my attention back to the trim. I had already sanded and deglossed all the existing trim so that was ready for paint. Grandma and I mutually agreed that the doors and windows shouldn't be painted. I didn't ask her what her reason for that decision was but for me, I just didn't want to do all the extra sanding and painting. I also like the look of stained wood doors with white trim and it worked well here because it's a similar tone to the wood furniture I garbage picked inherited.

I carefully taped the walls around all the windows and removed the door and the hinges  I broke out the can of semigloss Monterey White and got to work.


I gave all the trim 2 coats. While I was at it, I painted the cornices I took down before. I personally don't want them but I have to choose my battles here and I know grandma would insist they be put back up. At least she allowed me to paint them.


After the trim and cornices were dry, I rehung them above the windows. Not bad and I'd soon come to realize I'd regret getting rid of them if I did.

By this time I was ready to turn my attention to the molding separating the lower and upper walls. I used pre-primed lattice strips. They’re nice because they are thin, light weight, and cheap! I measured and cut the strips using the miter saw dad gave me when he got a new one. Then I applied a nice squiggle of adhesive caulk to the back of each piece and stuck it to the wall. Once they were stuck up and straightened out with a level, I used my air nailer to completely mangle their nice smooth surfaces. (I'm covering the good, the bad and the ugly here) Turns out that they really don't work well with lath and plaster/cement walls and I should have just used liquid nails to glue them up. I did the same sort of surface marring destruction to the crown molding and spent an extra day caulking all the holes and dents and making them look pretty again. This is a learning experience and I definitely learned here. Once all the edges and corners and cracks and holes were caulked, smooth, and dry, I taped and painted them with the semigloss white. I also replaced the scalloped trim above the closet door with a wider piece of the lattice trim.


This is the only photo I have that shows the existing trim, chair rail, and the crown molding. I really need to get better at remembering to take more "progress" photos. More to come on the bedroom so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment